Yum.. Veggie tacos for the family. Today is a great day. Sun is shining and I have the energy to make a Sunday lunch. I am keeping it veggie today as I am on an anti-inflammatory diet. (view food pyramid here)
I love Dr. Weil, not just his monumental beard. He has great ideas and taught my doctor, Dr. Dave Rakel, love him too. When a doctor calls you at home to see how you are doing... you've gotta love that. Check out the link above to Dr. Weil's food pyramid. Note what is on the bottom - fruits and veggies...yes, we need to eat more of them. Eating them means work, purchasing fresh and organic, and preparing them. I know, easier to just buy already prepared, frozen....blah blah blah...if you have the energy, do it. Get to the market at least 2-3 times per week to purchase the freshest available and eat up. In turn your body will be happier and your gardens will be much happier due to all the compost you will produce.
Back to your dinner my lunch - it made the hubby happy and the kids too. Quick and Convenient - if you do not have certain ingredients. Improvise with what you have.
- 2 fresh onions, cue ball size, chop all including green tops
- 1 bunch dinosaur kale (steamed and chopped, set aside)
- 2 baby zucchini or 1 large chopped into half moons
- handful chopped cilantro
- 1-2 cloves chopped fresh garlic
- 1/3 of a yellow and 1/3 of a red bell pepper chopped
- 1 TBS chili powder
- Package sprouted corn tortillas. - This brand is my fav...
- 1/2 package queso fresco.
- Steam Kale....and chop - set aside
- Grate queso fresco, set aside.
- Slice lime into wedges, set aside.
- Saute your onion in oil of choice, we use olive.
- Throw in zucchini, salt to taste.
- Keep stirring those veggies, when zucchini is just tender, toss in garlic and cilantro and chili powder.
- Toss in peppers and kale... saute for about 3 more minutes. Nobody like soggy veggies... test often.
- Turn off when done.. let sit in pan uncovered.
- Make tortillas - We heat ours right over the open flame on the gas stove. Use tongs, heat both sides, and then wrap in towel until the package has all been heated.
- Assemble.... and eat. Top with queso and avocado and fresh lime juice. We happen to love Frontera Salsas, Rick Bayless does a nice job with his fire roasted flavors.